Friday, January 14, 2011

so there i was...#6 (part 2)

...and just like that, it was done.Lives had been changed forever and my beach front condo in eternal damnation had been secured.
One hand still quivering with well deserved and heftily earned guilt hung at my side as I braced the other hand against the beer and vomit rusted corrugated metal wall that stretched down that side of the alley.
I rose slowly and apologetically. My head whipped to the side looking for whatever had made the suspicious noise that i was wishing I could have heard right at that moment. Then it all would've been like a movie and I could just sit still, wait for the credits and slip out with the innocents into the darkened lobby.
But this was no movie, despite its marked horror, and I'd heard no such sound; mysterious or otherwise.
It was as if even sound itself didn't want to associate itself with what had just happened here. There was nothing to ever cloud my memory of the event; no flickering lights, passing cars or errant sounds. No other conscious being, through whose perception, I could fog my own recollection. No, I was alone in my utter honesty of what I had just done.
At full posture I looked down at my deed, wishing I could have felt something. And when I couldn't...I turned and walked away; into a pitch blackness that virtually beamed compared to my recent darkness.
2 minuted from now, there'd be no trace. Nobody would know that I had even been there...
2 hours later, half the world would know of what I'd done and 2 decades later lives polluted by my hand would still be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment