Saturday, January 8, 2011

so there i was...#3

So there I was, a newly-minted one-day-old college freshmen partaking in that oldest of freshmen dorm traditions, the fire drill...but it wasn’t like the movies .I’d been expecting semi-nude co-eds clenching algebra homework so tightly they’d be unable to hold onto their reservations or inhibitions. But like I said, it wasn’t like that. It was mostly a sausage fest, but then I saw her…there amongst the rest sharply dress in her ever so perfectly stained papa john’s shirt and visor…Esmerelda. Oh my heart did sing that day of the lovely Esmerelda. (read her name tag) In that brief 27 minutes that felt like nearly half an hour, I pined for her. And she pined for her $17.28 that some guy had been heading to his room to get when the alarm sounded. I could’ve stared at her for hours. I mean like from across a bar, not in that direct creepy way. And then the magic happened, our moment in the sun…(really in the sun. like 4:30ish on a Tuesday afternoon)
She looked at me but for a split of a second. Now I don’t know if it was the Ace Ventura 2 boxers or the “Hairdressers do it with do” t-shirt, but she smirked at me and I liked it. I was cranking up the courage to walk over to her and ask about the pizza specials then I heard it…the trumpet of doom for this, our just budding love. She looked away and swore and screamed yes!
My eyes followed hers and I saw it then…the shiny red firetruck. How could I compete with a shiny red fire truck and $17.28 plus tip?
I was crushed and my hatred of people in red suits was cemented…darned fire trucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment