Wednesday, February 2, 2011

...so there I was...#7: 'the chick of destiny'

…so there I was, handcuffed to destiny. That’s destiny, not Destiny; I was not handcuffed to somebody named Destiny.
I Was handcuffed to somebody named Hank. At least that’s the name she gave the state trooper. I'm not saying that she was lying. We were back to back so I hadn’t seen her, but something about the way she’d said, “Well…some folks call me, Hank” made me have my doubts.
As the trooper walked away, I could feel her pressing back against me like she was up to something. I was hoping so.
Her hair fell across my shoulders; emerald green with blonde highlights over the left and a deep auburn with just a tint of purple over the right.
She lurched and I heard something full of small parts crash to the ground near us.
And then her voice, quiet and deliberate, was pouring into my left ear.
“Look”, she said, ”it’s been real, but it’s about time I get going on my way; but it don’t mean I don’t love you. Things are probably gonna get a little loud here in a minute and u might get a little hurt.”
Later, I thought that this woulda been a perfect time to have joked that you always hurt the ones you love. But honestly, I’d never met this person before now, and plus I was a little too curious about what was about to happen when things got, as she put it, “loud.” So I just sat quietly and listened.
“For what’s probably about to happen to you, I'm gonna go ahead and say this this the only time I ever will…I'm sorry.”
That was 8 months ago and she’s never said those 2 words again. Sure, there have been many times when she probably should have said them, but after all we’ve been through, she doesn’t have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment